Oh hey friend! So I posted about getting elderberries and preparing to make my own syrup, and now I’m sharing that recipe with you today! But a warning, the dialogue in between these pretty photos won’t be the usual from a blogger named Susan telling you all about her darling son Timmy, and her latest macrame project! Buckle up.
First, I purchased my organic elderberries from Amazon here! It filled this large mason jar plus some, so it was totally worth it!! I accidentally ordered non-organic at first too, so I had to cancel that order because I’m not some absolute barbarian… *shovels gross coffee in mouth*
*this is a photo where I worried about using this cookware* My mind was racing with thoughts like, “how much is this going to stain?!?!?!” Luckily, everything completely washed out, but if you are NOT Suzy Homemaker like me just make sure this pot gets cleaned our right away… Not like the ones from that burnt dinner dish three night ago…. #ifeelyou
and….. BAM! Here is the finished product! What you don’t see is the container where I spilled a little (okay a decent amount) of the syrup, and then had to clean up the scene of the crime against the precious organic elderberries!!
I am honestly pretty pleased with myself over this. It was fairly easy, no one was hurt, nothing was burned or ruined, and even when you do spill it absolutely everywhere it’s not so messy to wipe up. My recipe is fairly simple so you could add what you like to it too, but it could affect the taste (and mine tastes like an amazing Christmas Day), so beware haha! I know some people like to add things like garlic or orange peels, but some people are over achievers… unlike me!! (Just kidding haha!!) But really, next time I’d like to try to add more oils, but until then this works!!
- ¾ Cups Dried Elderberries
- 3 Cups Distilled Water
- 1 Tsp Cloves
- A few Thin Slices of Ginger (Skin On)
- ½ Cinnamon Stick
- Vitality Thieves Essential Oil
- Vitality Nutmeg Essential Oil
- Vitality Orange Essential Oil
- ¾ Cup Raw, Unfiltered Honey, Local to your Region or Town is Best!
- Put elderberries, water, cinnamon stick, ginger slices, and cloves into pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Put lid on (leave open just a crack) and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- After time is up, remove lid and let cool to room temperature.
- Once at room temperature, pour liquid into clean bowl through mesh strainer.
- Make sure to push down on berries in strainer, and get out any extra liquid goodness.
- In a separate container mix honey with two drops Thieves Vitality Oil, two drops of Orange Vitality Essential Oil, and one drop Nutmeg Vitality Essential Oils. Mixing this together first may be extra, extra, but I just felt better about doing it this way vs. adding oils straight to the liquid.
- Now, mix together the strained elderberry liquid and honey mixture in a clean container. I used a mason jar!
- Store in your fridge. Most other recipes say this will kept for 1-2 months. I'm expecting this to last about 2 months, unless we get the plague. I'll update you if I experience any different!
- Each member of out family is taking one tablespoon per day.
- When we aren't feeling well we take smaller doses more frequently throughout the day!
PS- All oils used are my favorites from Young Living! If you want your own starter kit you can grab one here, and get $25 back from me for using that link!! and Let me know if you use this recipe!!